Welcome to Science Literacy/STEM
The goal of the FWISD Science Literacy & STEM department is to assist educators in the development, alignment, and implementation of relevant learning experience through scientific investigation and reporting.
In FWISD, we believe scientific literacy is an important part of the future each student creates. Through student-focused instruction and collaboration with teachers, peers, and community, each student will develop the capability to explore and understand the natural world.
We believe that:
- Students learn science best by constructing their knowledge and understandings through inquiry learning;
- Real-world connections solidify the understanding of science;
- Collaborative student interaction is a critical component of science instruction;
- Discourse and reflection are more valuable than assigning and completing;
- Ongoing data-gathering and assessment, both by teachers and students, guide daily instruction
To engage and encourage our students every day, FWISD science teachers will:
- Engage our students in inquiry learning;
- Collaborate in both horizontal and vertical teams of teachers;
- Formatively assess student learning and adjust instruction accordingly
Our Mission is to provide a rigorous, differentiated, and relevant science curriculum with standards-aligned resources and assessments that gives instructional support to all campuses through a renewed focus on teacher knowledge and best practices.
100 N University Dr. SW-209
Fort Worth TX 76107
Dr. Herman Jackson, Jr.
K-12 Science Literacy/STEM Director
Dr. Yohanis De La Fuente
Core Curriculum & Innovation Coordinator: K-12 Science Literacy & STEM